D. & R. J. Fotheringham

Greyhound Brewery

W. L. Haydon


David and Robert John Fotheringham were the sons of Alex Fotheringham, Alex was the brother of James, Robert and Thomas Fotheringham from the Gawler Brewery. The two brothers built a aerated waters factory on Goose Island in Gawler in 1878. by the early 1890's the aerated water factory started to brew beer in a small way. Robert died in May 1895, David also passed away in 1898, after their deaths the brewery was managed by Davids widow Mary Ann Fotheringham. The factory was renamed to the Greyhound Brewery and put up for sale, though the brewery did not sell until 1902, when Frank Bunting and Thomas McCulloch. The new owners only lasted four years and the brewery was sold to W. L. Haydon and brewing ceased.  

Logo

D. & R. J. Fotheringham

Greyhound Brewery

W. L. Haydon

Brewery ID : 5.137.004

Waters Street, Gawler

Established : 1878

D. & R. J. Fotheringham
1878 to 1898
Greyhound Brewery
1898 to 1906
W. L. Haydon
1906 to 1950s?

Closed : 1950s?

Brewer

 

Picture

D & R J Fotheringhams Aerated Water Factory

Picture

D & R J Fotheringhams Aerated Water Factory

 

Picture

David Fotheringham c1885
B 27118 State Library SA

Labels from the brewery

Label
5.137.004.100.0010


Label
5.137.004.100.0020


Label
5.137.004.100.0030


Label
5.137.004.100.0040


Label
5.137.004.100.0050


Label
5.137.004.100.0060