|William Jacka was a blacksmith who had a workshop on Rundle street in Adelaide, but the mid 1860's William
moved to Auburn and started working at James Taylors brewery. William's work at the brewery was only short
lived and by the end of 1866 William had constructed a aerated waters factory on the edge of town. By 1867 James
Taylor had become insolvent and he had to leave his brewery on Daly street, he started the construction of a new
brewery adjacent to Mr Jacka's factory.
Taylors Auburn Brewery was operational by early 1869 but James fell into financial problems and had to sell the brewery, William Jacka purchased the brewery and moved his operation to the new premises. The new brewery was renamed to the Phoenix Brewery and sold beer as well as all the aerated waters and cordials that William Jacka had made prior to opening the brewery. William closed the brewery in 1876 and moved to Melrose where he was the publican of the North Star Hotel, the brewery remained unsold and dormant until sometime in the mid 1880's when Mr Morris Trimmings purchased the site and revived the Phoenix Brewery name. The township of auburn were very thankful for Mr Trimmings re-opening the brewery, as local industries were leaving the area, but unfortunately the brewery was again closed in 1888 when Morris had run out of funds. The brewery was converted to a butter factory in the 1920's and then became the site for Farmer Co-Operative Union ltd in the 1940s.
Taylors Auburn Brewery
Used as the Phoenix Brewery 1869 to 1888
B11463 State Library SA
9th June 1868