Port Dock Brewery Hotel


The Port Dock Hotel was opened on June 19th 1855 in the already crowded Port Adelaide area, there was already 15 existing pubs in the small Port Adelaide area. The current hotel building was constructed in 1883. The hotel through loyal patronage had survived the decline in the port in the late 1800's that was closing the small hotels. The Temperance movement in the beginning of the new century had started to grow and really started to make an impact with local alcohol industry. The movement was leaded by a Reverend J Kirby and by 1909 the group was successful in getting the council to close 15 of the 45 hotels in the Port area. The port dock lost its liquor license and the hotel closed it's doors.

The build was used for a Stevedores, Boarding house and also a bordello before getting it's liquor license back in 1986. The hotel was renovated and turned into a modern hotel with the inclusion of a brewery out the back.

The initial beers were brewed from concentrated Wort supplied by the Coopers brewery. The strongest beer produced was named Old Preacher after John Kirby who closed the hotel in 1909. Three Beers were bottled (Collectors Pale Ale, Old Preacher Strong Ale & Wedge Island Wheat Beer) with two more available on tap (Lighthouse Ale & Black Diamond Best Bitter).

The brewery changed hands a number of times and in 1989 it closed. The brewery reopened in 1991 only making draught beer. The onsite fermented beer stopped around 2007 with their beer being contract brewed. The hotel was sold in 2020 and it is unsure whether the Port Dock beer will continue with the new owners. Several of the states predominant microbrewers started their careers at the brewery.
 

Logo

Port Dock Brewery Hotel

Brewery ID : 5.001.M003

10 Todd Street, Port Adelaide

Established : 1986

Closed : 2020

Brewery / Contract : Brewery

Draught & Bottled Product

Web Facebook Instagram

Picture

Picture

Labels from the brewery

Label
5.001.M003.001.001
1986

Label
5.001.M003.002.001
1986

Label
5.001.M003.003.001
1986

Label
5.001.M003.003.003
1987

Label
5.001.M003.004.001
c2000

Label
5.001.M003.004.002
2007

Label
5.001.M003.004.0S1
2007
Made for Finlaysons

Label
5.001.M003.004.0S2
2007
Port Festival Beer

Label
5.001.M003.004.0S3
2007

Label
5.001.M003.005.001
2007

Label
5.001.M003.006.001
2007

Label
5.001.M003.007.001
2007

Label
5.001.M003.008.001
2005

Label
5.001.M003.008.002
2009
6 labels released with different centre pictures