Kent Town Brewery


The Kent Town Brewery was constructed in 1876 by the influential Sir Edwin Smith, The brewery amalgamated with the West End Brewery in 1888 to form the South Australian Brewing Company. Brewing ceased at the site in 1888 and it was used as a malt house.

The maltings continued at the site for 100 years, when in 1990 the malting chief Gordon Welsh had the idea to once again use the site as a brewery. With the assistance of the South Australian Brewing Company a micro brewery was setup and by mid year, beer was flowing.

As with all big corporate businesses the small brewery was losing more money than it was making, so all brewing moved to the Southwark brewery by 1992 and after 3 more years the brand was dropped.

The site is no longer used as a malt house and was converted into apartments in the mid 2000s.
 

Logo

Kent Town Brewery

Brewery ID : 5.001.M005

2 Rundle Street, Kent Town

Established : 1990

Closed : 1995

Brewery / Contract : Brewery & Contracted

Draught & Bottled Product

Web Facebook Instagram

Picture

Picture

Labels from the brewery

Label
5.001.M005.001.001
1990

Label
5.001.M005.001.002
1992
Brewed at the Southwark Brewery

Label
5.001.M005.001.003
1995
Brewed at the Southwark Brewery