![]() |
| In early 1914, W. S. Clayton established a temperance brewery in William Street, Melbourne, producing non-alcoholic beers inspired by the growing temperance movement of the early 20th century. Following initial success, Clayton expanded operations to Adelaide, securing investors L. O’Loughlin, H. V. Luff, and W. Allen to help fund the venture. A new brewery was built on Gilbert Street, where Clayton’s range of alcohol-free beers quickly gained local attention. As production increased, the Gilbert Street premises proved too small, prompting a move to Waymouth Street, near Victoria Square. Around the same time, Clayton also opened another brewery in Broken Hill, complementing his Melbourne and Adelaide operations. Despite the early enthusiasm, the Adelaide brewery closed after just two years, and the buildings were soon sold. Distribution of Clayton’s drinks continued through B. J. Knight & Sons of Port Pirie, who marketed the beverages alongside their own aerated waters. ![]() |