![]() |
| The Tasmanian Hotel was established in 1839 on Town Acre 71, Hindley Street, on land owned by Dr. Charles Everard. Its first publican, John Wheland, operated the hotel from 1839 to 1843. When the property was put up for sale in 1841, it appears Wheland purchased it himself. After briefly leasing the premises to John Emery in 1843, Wheland soon returned and constructed a brewery at the rear of the hotel. Like many early brewers, he faced major supply challenges, malt and hops had to be imported from England, making it difficult to compete with imported beer. The brewery lasted only a year before closing, and Wheland once again departed the hotel. By around 1846, ownership had passed to William Williams, who later sold the property to raise funds for his new brewing venture at Walkerville. The old Tasmanian Hotel continued trading under new names, eventually becoming the Adelaide Hotel, which remained in operation until 1921. |
![]() South Australian Register 9th March 1844, Page 1 |