Hyde Park Brewery

The Hyde Park Brewery was built in 1883 by Mr. Robert Tilley and Mr. Henry Buckerfield. Henry William Buckerfield was born in England and emigrated to Adelaide in 1853, he then worked as a hotelier until he went into partnership with Mr. Tilley in 1883. The partnership dissolved in 1885 and Mr. Tilley became manager of the Lion Bottling Company. Guildford E. Gray purchased the brewery on January 15th 1885. Guildford Emery Gray was born in Blakiston, South Australia in 1842, his father was Benjamin Gray the owner of the Littlehampton brewery from 1850 to 1878. Mr. G. E. Gray started brewing at the North Star Hotel in 1867 and then moved on to the Strathalbyn brewery in 1869. In 1870 he became the head brewer for the Lion Brewery, a position he had held for 14 years. In 1885 he decided that he would use his good name in brewing and open his own brewery, with the split in partnership between Mr. Tilley and Mr. Buckerfield the Hyde Park brewery became available.

Mr. G. E. Gray quickly started advertising in one of the local newspapers, with the main heading being 'HYDE PARK BREWERY - GUILDFORD E. GRAY' at the time his name alone would have helped sell beer for the brewery. Mr. G. E. Gray considered his ale's to excellent and even exhibiting his India Pale Ale in the Colonial and Indian exhibition of 1886. Mr. Grays Industry Brand Ale won the Adelaide International Expo of 1887 with his Jubilee beer coming in second. In 1887 Mr. G. E. Gray left the brewery to be manager of the Walter and Morris's Broken Hill Brewery, and he left the brewery in charge with Mr. Theodore Bruce and Mr. George S. Aldridge. This arrangement only lasted 2 years when Mr. G. E. Gray returned to the Hyde Park Brewery and quickly sold it to Mr. Charles H. Hart, who only brewed at the brewery for a year before abandoning it.

The Hyde Park Brewery was purchased by the Caledonian brewery in 1893. The Caledonian Brewery was originally located in Eastwood but the site was too small by the 1890's and a new brewery was needed. The site was closed in 1896 and remained disused until 1900 when Mr. William Bone purchased the brewery. William Bone was born in South Australia in 1844, he started in the brewing business working for the Walkerville Brewery and then moved to the South Australian Brewing Company and became head brewer. The brewery was renamed back to the Hyde Park Brewery, but only remained open for two years before it closed again. Mr. William Bone became the manager and brewer of the Waverley brewery. Edward James Frederick Crawford was born in Banbury, England, in 1809. Mr Crawford learnt the trade of brewing from an early age, whilst still living in England. He married Mary Scott in 1831 and the pair left for South Australia on the Dorset in 1838, joining them was Mr. Crawfords brothers Sidney and Thomas. The brothers started a farm in the Mount Crawford area (this area might have been named after the Crawford brothers), but due to difficulties the property was later abandoned. Edward Crawford remarried in 1841 and then became involved with the South Australian newspaper. This new profession did not last long, so he fell back on one of the trades he knew well, brewing. Mr Edward Crawford and partner Mr Tinline leased the Hindmarsh brewery from Daniel Cudmore in early 1843. Mr Tinline left shortly afterward. Mr. Crawford purchased it from Mr. Cudmore in 1845, and he was joined by four of his brothers at the new brewery.

The brewery was very successful trading as "Crawford Bros.", and the brewery even started exporting beer to Singapore starting in 1845. Both Sidney and James Crawford left the brewery in 1852, with Sidney opening a new brewery in Middleton . Disaster struck the brewery in 1857 when one of the boilers exploded, flying for hundreds of metres across the River Torrens and destroying one side of the brewery in the process. The explosion also started a fire that tore through the brewery. The damage was estimated at 1,000 pounds, and had it exploded an hour earlier would have taken up to seven lives. Mr Crawford had financial difficulties and lost the business in 1859. The building became abandoned until 1862 when it was used as a malt house by Simms and Chapman's West End brewery. The brewery was started up again in 1876 and renamed the Kangaroo Brewery by Mr. R. Strutton and Mr C. Trapmann.


Hyde Park Brewery

Brewery ID : 5.001.043

Edgeware Road (Now Opey Ave), Hyde Park

Established : 1883

Closed : 1902




Port Adelaide Dispatch, 6th October 1883


Licensed Victuallers Gazette, March 1885



Labels from the brewery