|Edmund Humphris moved to Jamestown in 1872, where he had several jobs including butcher and land dealer. In
1878 Mr Humphris proposed building a brewery, along with James Bryan as the brewer for the company. James
Bryan had previously brewed at the Strathalbyn and the Macclesfield Stag Brewery, but unfortunately James died
just after the brewery opened leaving Edmund without a brewer. Brewing ceased in 1880 and the company went
on to manufacture aerated waters and cordials. Edmund Humphris died in 1882 aged 41, leaving his wife Frederina
to manage the business. Frederina started to manufacture sauces and pickles
along with the waters and cordials as well as her sons joining the company, with
these changes the company quickly grew and a second site was purchased in
Adelaide, on Wakefield street, though this site quickly became unsuitable so a
larger premises were found on Carrington street.
The Adelaide site was used to manufacture the sauces and pickles as the vegetables were cheaper in the city. By 1920 the company expanded again this time into Broken Hill, though this was short lived as the company went bankrupt in 1932 due to the great depression. The Jamestown Butter and Trading Company purchased the Jamestown factory and continued to operate until 1966.
F Humphris & Sons
Jamestown Butter & Trading Co.
Progressive Jamestown 1908