|The Auburn Brewery was started by James Taylor in 1866, located on Daly street, in New Auburn the brewery was
one of the most advanced in the district. Thomas Robinson was appointed as brewer in 1867 and soon afterward
Mr Taylor ran into money problems and the brewery was put up for auction in 1867, the bid of 700 pounds was rejected. Mr
Robinson continued to brew from the brewer as it was being sold and by the end of the decade he had purchased
the brewery from Mr Taylor.
Thomas had taken on a business partner Edward Clark in 1869, Edward was the son of William Clark from the Halifax Street and West End Breweries. Thomas Robinson left the brewery in 1871 leaving Edward to continue the business alone,
In 1879 Edward Clark sold the Auburn brewery to the owners of the Enterprise Brewery the large competing brewery in Clare. The brewery was renamed to the Enterprise Brewery and was operated in tandem with the Clare branch. The twin breweries continued until 1888 when the Clare brewery was falling on harder times and the business consolidated its brewing to the single brewery in Clare. The brewery was sold to Mr Morris Trimmings. Mr Trimmings had been operating the Phoenix brewery in Auburn for a short period of time, but he ran into financial problems and closed the brewery later that same year.