![]() |
Date Opened : 1837
Date Closed : 1841
Address :
Franklin Street, Adelaide
Approx 65 Metres East from West Terrace, Northern Side
History
| ADELAIDE TAVERN | 1837 | 1839 |
| THE ADELAIDE AND PORT LINCOLN HOTEL | 1839 | 1840 |
| ALLEN'S FAMILY HOTEL | 1840 | 1841 |
![]() |
![]() |
| Another early Franklin Street tavern was the “Adelaide,” opened probably in 1838, and conducted by William Henry Shephard. The building (constructed of stone) was situated on the
north side of the street, about seventy yards east of West Terrace. The entrance, “a handsome stone portico,” stood well hack from the thoroughfare. Shephard’s “Adelaide” was considered
“one of the three principal hotels,” and its proprietor evidently launched out on ambitious lines to build up a first class establishment. Catering for public and private functions was offered “to any extent of numbers, and on any scale of comfort.” A table d'hote was provided daily, and “beef a-la-mode” every evening from 8 until 10. The upper storey of the tavern contained a room 50 feet by 18, capable of accommodating 200 diners. This apartment was also placed into commission as a small theatre. It was fitted up with private boxes, a “comfortable pit,” and a refreshment bar. and, it was asserted, capable of accommodating an audience of 400. The first entertainment in this “Theatre Royal” as it was named, was advertised to take place on May 28. 1838, commencing with “the National Anthem of God Save the Queen: by the whole company.” “Select balls” often took place in this chamber, for which “the best music in the colony” was engaged. In June 1838, a public dinner was tendered at the tavern to Colonel Light and the officers of his department. The function commenced at 2 p.m. with Mr. John Morphett (later Sir John) In the chair. Tickets for the dinner were sold at the principal stores at 7/6 each, which amount included one bottle of wine. In the same month, Joseph Hawdon received a public welcome here upon his arrival with the first overland importation of cattle. As a prelude to the dinner, and “agreeably to the good old English fashion ... an ox, chosen from his [Hawdon’s] own herd. was roasted whole for the entertainment of all comers.” The contemporary account of the function informs U8 that although the Chairman retired at about midnight, "the hilarity of the evening continued until the cock crew." William Shephard appears to have become financially embarrassed and in July 1838 the hotel passed into other hands. Isaac Sladden announced his proprietorship in October 1838, offered on hire his horses and gigs, and drew attention to the fact that a jaunting car plied between the tavern and the Port dally. Joseph Barnett secured the premises in March 1839, declaring them to be "most delightfully situated, commanding a fine view of the Bay, Park Lands, and Hills in the distance." A correspondent to the "South Australian Colonist," (published in London), in writing from Adelaide in April 1839, mentioned the endeavours made by the "Adelaide" Tavern to cope with the influx of settlers seeking lodgings. "There are three principal hotels," he wrote, "Fordum’s [Fordham’s], the Southern Cross, and the Adelaide, besides . . . other places of entertainment of inferior note. At the time we landed, the hotels were crowded, from the prodigious influx of emigrants; people were glad to get a mattress to lie on, with a blanket over them, in any public room. One evening, having occasion to call at the Adelaide Hotel, it was truly amusing to see the barrack-like appearance it presented. The principal room may be about 50 feet in length, with a table running from nearly the one end to the other. About seven o'clock beds were arranged along both sides, as well as the ends of the room, in close proximity, which, no sooner done, than in tumbles one here, and another there, for the double purpose of securing a bed. and obtaining the rest their weary limbs demand. . . . By 9 o’clock every bed is taken up—one lies snoring gently to the discomfort of others, another tosses about venting his spleen on the noise-makers, while the youth, beauty and retirement of a third, aided by candle light, creates Simperings amongst the others, and even surmises regarding the sex. I am not aware, however, that females are ever reduced to such an alternative, as they are always allowed to remain on board until private rooms can be obtained for them." Barnett changed the name of the tavern to the "Adelaide and Port Lincoln" Hotel. In October 1839, alterations were made und it re-opened as "Allen’s," but it does not appear to have survived after 1840. J. McLellan 1941 ![]() South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register Saturday 13th October 1838 - Page 2 ![]() Southern Australian Wednesday 23rd October 1839 - Page 3 ![]() |