![]() |
Date Opened : 1853
Date Closed : 1970
Address :
7 Gouger Street, Adelaide
History
| RAINBOW TAVERN | 1853 | 1860 |
| RAINBOW INN | 1860 | 1862 |
| RAINBOW HOTEL | 1862 | 1874 |
| SUPREME COURT HOTEL | 1874 | 1970 |
![]() |
![]() |
| Another building many Adelaideans pass by without realising its past is the Supreme Court Hotel, once a popular city pub. It began life in 1851 as the Rainbow Tavern, built on Gouger Street by William Sruter (whose name also appears as Sowter or Souter). Though the building was completed in 1851, Sruter did not obtain a license until 1853. The original single-storey tavern stood slightly further east, closer to Victoria Square, beside a confectionery manufactory. With its position near the law courts, the tavern quickly became a favourite with lawyers and court staff. In the late 1860s, the premises were expanded with the addition of a second storey, but this proved to be only a stopgap measure. By 1874, the old building was deemed inadequate. It and the neighbouring structure were demolished, replaced by a modern two-storey hotel with the latest amenities. The new establishment was renamed the Supreme Court Hotel, a fitting tribute to its most loyal clientele. The hotel thrived for decades but, like many city pubs, saw its fortunes decline in the mid-20th century. By 1970, it had lost its license and closed as a hotel. Fortunately, the building was restored and repurposed as offices rather than demolished. Today, this fine Victorian-era building still stands proudly on the eastern end of Gouger Street. While its days of pouring beer are long over, its survival offers a valuable glimpse into Adelaide’s 19th-century streetscape. ![]() Hotel building in 2025 |