Logo
JOINERS' ARMS HOTEL

JOINERS' ARMS HOTEL

Hotel ID : 5.001.H550

Date Opened : 1838
Date Closed : 1851

Address :
Franklin Street Adelaide




History

COLTMAN'S HOTEL 1838 1841
BUSH HOTEL 1841 1841
ROYAL HOTEL AND BUSH CLUB HOUSE 1841 1847
BUSH CLUBHOUSE 1847 1849
JOINERS' ARMS HOTEL 1849 1851



Facebook Instagram

Publicans


“Coltman’s” Hotel was situated in Franklin Street. Standing back from the street, its frontage extended from Cannon to Tatham Streets, with entrances from each thoroughfare. A coffee room, supplied a dally “ordinary” consisting of “the delicacies of the season,” together with “soups—alternately mock turtle, a-la-mode, mullagatawny, ox-tail, and gravy”; at all hours “coffee, tea, chops, steak, etc.” were available.

Probably as an incentive to business, the proprietor conducted a lottery In 1839, when twenty prizes were offered to every sixty tickets sold. The prizes consisted of the various articles so greatly esteemed at the time, a large musical box, plated cruet stands (complete with glassware), candlesticks, and a variety of engravings and oils.

“Coltman's” became the “Royal Hotel and Bush Club House” in 1841, but was generally known as the “Royal Bush.” In 1843 Joseph Barnett, a subsequent licensee, claimed his slate billiard table to be one of the best in the colony. Continuing as the “Joiners' Arms” in 1849, the hotel appears to have passed out of existence in 1850 or 1851.


Adelaide's Early Inns and Taverns
J. McLellan
1941

Logo

   
 





Back to Hotels