J.O Ladd

Joseph Onesimus Ladd was born in Nacton, Sussex, and migrated to Australia, arriving in Adelaide around 1847 via Melbourne, Victoria. In 1849, he obtained a publican's license for the Gepp's Cross Hotel. He married Caroline Fuller in Adelaide on 6 April 1853, and they had thirteen children.

Around 1860, he established a ginger beer manufacturing business in Flinders Street, Adelaide, later moving to Rundle Street in 1868, where he began producing cordials and aerated waters.

Upon Joseph's death in 1882, Caroline took over the business, relocating it to Harrow Road, College Park, in 1884. After Caroline's death in 1897, her son Joseph Ladd assumed management. Joseph's son Roy Leslie Joseph Ladd took over in 1929, adopting the Magnet trademark. The family business became a limited liability company in early 1948, operating as J. L. Aerated Waters Ltd. until June 1950, when it was renamed "Ladds Limited." Roy Ladd passed away in July 1954, leading to the company's liquidation three months later, during which assets including the property at Harrow Road and the trade name "Spa-Kup" were disposed of.


J.O Ladd

Company ID : 5.001.S139

Adelaide & College Park

Established : 1851

Closed : 1957


SA Directory Advertiser 1867




Ladd Labels Stoneware Ginger Beer Bottles Round Ended Maugham Bottles
Spa-Kup Branded Bottle Caps and Labels
Bottle Caps
Spa-Kup Dry Ginger Beer
Spa-Kup Sarsaparilla
Spa-Kup Lemonade