The Goats Head Inn was built in Macclesfield located 30 kilometers south of Adelaide, the hotel was renamed to the Davenport Arms in 1846 after the founder of Macclesfield, Mr George Davenport. Mr James Hackett became the publican at the hotel in December 1846, Mr Hackett constructed a brewed next door to the hotel in 1849. Mr Hackett then leased the hotel and brewery to several occupants over the next few years, including Mr William Miller who in 1853 accidentally fell into the boiling wort, he was helped out of the vat by his wife, but he died from his injuries several days later.
The hotel and brewery was sold to Mr Samuel Coleman in 1853, Mr Coleman had moderate success with the brewery and continued to brew there until 1863 when his son John took over operations. John put the brewery up for ale in 1865. Henry Lewis a previous lessee at the brewery in 1850 purchased the brewery in 1868 the brewery was renamed to Lewis & co. Mr Lewis had great success at the brewery including winning an award at the 1873 London Exhibition for bottled ale. Mr Lewis sold the brewery in 1877 to James Bryan, Albert Landseer and William Dunk, the brewery was upgraded and renamed to the Stag Brewery. The new owners only owned the brewery for three years before selling to Mr Benjamin and Henry Conigrave, the brewery was once again renamed, this time to the Southern Cross Brewery.
The Conigrave brothers had great success with the brewery winning many awards around Australia, before selling to Mr James Mott in 1884 who only operated the brewery for 2 years before Mr Motts son Henry and Mr Wade with Guildford Gray was employed as the brewer. The new owners sold the brewery after several months before selling the brewery to brothers William and Gustov Danker. The Danker brothers ownership of the brewery was short lived and due to financial difficulties the brewery was put up for sale.
In 1888 Wigg & Son. operated by Wigg, Beevor and Clare purchased the brewery. Wigg & Son were based in Adelaide, the firm had purchased the old Kent Town brewery and started brewing beer from the Kent Town brewery trading as Macclesfield Brewery. The brewery in Macclesfield was also used and was managed by William Danker, though this was short lived and the building was converted to a dairy and butter factory. The new brewery in Kent Town was renamed to the Macclesfield Brewing and Malting Co. Ltd. in 1889 after the original Macclesfield brewery was sold. though the new name did cause confusion and was renamed again in 1892 to the Adelaide Malting & Brewing Co. Ltd. though all the beers were marketed as Macclesfield Beers with the a Emu as the logo. The brewery became famous for their stouts and won 21 Gold medals at the Adelaide Wine Show for there beers. The brewery went into voluntary liquidation in 1915.
B42923 State Library SA
PRG 280/1/17/725 State Library SA
Brewery Workers c1910
Mt Barker Courier
21st December 1888
6th March 1911
|c1900 (Colours Unknown)||c1915|