John Morris Herring and his family arrived in Adelaide on December 19th, 1839, aboard the sailing ship "Moffatt." Settling in Waymouth Street, Adelaide, they resumed their trade as builders, a profession they had practiced in London. By 1840, they had established a ginger beer brewery alongside their building business. From 1845 to 1846, J.M. Herring served as the licensee of the "Union" Hotel, and council records from 1847 indicate his sole operation of the ginger beer manufactory. From 1848 to 1849, he partnered with T.C. Potts as Herring & Co. He continued to hold the hotel license until his unfortunate demise in 1852, resulting from an accident. |
|
|
|
||